Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Arrevederchi San Francisco!

It is now Feb 22, twelve days since the football match that saw the United States of America flog Japan 3-2, and a night after the game that went until dawn that I won't soon forget, like something where you meet Mr.Future and Mr. Past like in Dickens' Christmas story. In the days after the game, as I dusted myself as I always do and take inventory of what was kept and what was hurled overboard like so much nautical flotsam, I think I learned something more about what makes me tick. Notes have been taken, but, oh so much life has been lived, starting with life on two wheels.

The weather was unseasonably beautiful, warm, clear, hardly any fog and only two days of rain the nearly 3 weeks I was here. I took marvelous bicycle rides, starting with my ancient Cannondale stickered up for one last week of glory and then riding my new bike, the Norco that I have christend "Homage to Canada." I would usually ride all afternoon, either up O'Shaugnessy to the Haight or West to the ocean, sometimes straight south to the 'Top of the Hill' (Mission Blvd) in Daly City. On these rides I saw little local nuggets precious to me; The Native Sons Building, Pon's Restaurant, the Mission Rock, the Osaka Friendship Monument, and many, many more. Even the last ride today down Shotwell, the sun bleeding green off of the Bernal Ht.s hill behind Robert's. All much too lovely for words. And all because of Global Warming!

I avoided Museums this trip but everything else was fair game; two movies at the theatre, more rented, Republican cabaret (the Dick 'N Dubya show), two appearances on KPFA FM radio, one live studio vocals for a pick-up band, a true artist returned home. And one dinner with Andre experience, in this case Breton crepes with famed artistes Michael Peppe and Hal Robins. In Robert's spacious kitchen I produced some great dishes; lentils, pasta, mixed grilled shrimp, and a king curry. Food shopping in the Latino Mission was a treat; I even discovered a Mexican cut of meat, a ragged flank steak called an arachela that fired up great with tortillas. I'd love to cook again in this city...

My mind expanded in this surreal city. I considered many options for life; moving back, sending my son to school here, being part of the diversity, getting into recovery, writing, seeing Lingling work here, reviving the N. California regional autonomist party, selling miniature Japanese plastic action figures... Then my friend Bob Carasik suggested buying a house... in Fresno. Oh, yeah that housing market...

I'd like to thank my friends Robert Irminger for hosting my adventure in his beautiful home and garden, Bob Carasik and his wife Mary Droyvage and daughter Nora, see you in Japan in April, Steve, Teresa, and Liam Lautze, I would have liked to have spent more time in the East Bay this trip. Thanks to all the SubGenii - perhaps I will join you at a future Burning Man. Heart (a few loose possessions) and soul once again left behind in San Francisco.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home